Friday 23 May 2008

Finally started!!

Before carpet up..

I've been wanting to start decorating my hall for some time. I started today and pulled the carpet up finally. I'm really pleased to find the original 1929 tiles all still in good condition. I also managed to get rid of all the extra coats and bits of things that seam to clutter up a hallway. Tomorrow i will start the huge job of preparing the walls and sanding the woodwork....all six panelled doors and the stair case....years of layer on layer of old lead paint, what fun!


I might finally get this house decorated in time to start all over again!

Carpet up showing original tiles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susie,
We have been doing that. A couple words of advice...purchase some cheap drop clothes and tape them around any door openings to areas that you are not working on. Then be sure to wear clothing to cover every inch of your body and mask and goggles. That lead paint is not good to come in contact with your skin. Tye your hair back and under a hat. What a job. I always jump in with both feet before I realize how much work it will actually be. That's probably a good thing. If I analyzed the situation...I probably would have a hard time starting! :)
You may have thought of these things already, but thought I would pass them along.
Good luck!
Sweetest regards,
Shelley

Unknown said...

Thanks for that Shelley, I've been hard at work all day today and it feels like this is something that will never end! I've set myself a target of two weeks LOL!
Sue

Bumpkin Hill said...

I love your hallwall, great original doors and those tiles are wonderful to find. Hugs, Catherine

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Hi Susie, the tiles are gorgeous!

Yes, definitely wear a mask when dealing with lead paint.

Karen at Ciderantiques